sunnuntai 13. heinäkuuta 2014

Food: The biggest obstacle why my toddler isn't eating healthy is myself

While pregnant with the Toddler, I was, as most of the first-time mothers I suppose are, ambitious about her future eating habits. She'd not visit fast food places, she'd have sweets or ice cream once a week, eat plenty of fruit and never ever would she eat while watching tv or ipad, since eating should be a lovely social experience.
Hah.
Fast forward two years. The Toddler is quite a good eater. She likes her broccoli and salad, but somehow she has learned to adore ice cream, cereal, chocolate and juice. And never mind the tv and iPad. The absolutely best way to make her eat anything is to knock her mind off with endless run of Kaapo from iPad.
Who is to blame? Mostly me. I could not give up my daily chocolate habit, so she learned that going to a store means having a chocolate bar. I only give her a small piece of the good thing, but that is enough for a habit to develop. Somewhere along my triple pregnancy I was too nauseated to find any healthy choice for the evening porridge, so she learned to eat cereal. Around the same time she learned that ice cream exists, since giving it to her made it possible for me to lay down for 10 minutes in peace and quiet.
So the lesson is: First, if you want your child to eat healthy, you must give up vices yourself, or at least never ever eat them in front of your kiddo. Second, be well rested, so you have the sense of humour and determination to fight off your kid's strong will when it comes to all things sugary.

Product tip of the day: The Toddler hates all lotions and creams. That is why we love Moomin sun block lotion, http://www.apteekkituotteet.fi/Muumi-aurinkosuojavoide-SK-50-200-ml. For some reason lotion becomes fun, once we say that "Moomin wants you to wear it."

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti