perjantai 11. heinäkuuta 2014

sheryl sandberg - the poor woman!

I am finally reading Sheryl Sandberg's, the chief operating officer of Facebook's, much acclaimed book Lean In. The book is supposedly encouraging for women and promotes gender equality at the workplace and at home.
I haven't finished the book, but I already do feel sorry for Sandberg. The poor woman had to work, in what I presume is rather tight schedule since she's at Facebook, through nine months of morning sickness.
Now, that is not gender equality nor something to boast about. I bet that if the roles would be reversed and it would be men who'd be throwing up all day long - or even once a day - while growing a human being inside of them, they'd be offered a full-paid leave from work and plenty of respect.
After first child Sandberg was clearly too afraid to commit to maternity leave for, let's see, three months! Well, here in Finland many mothers stay at home on parental leave for three years.
I do feel sorry for Sandberg and other women who feel the pressure to rush through the motherhood. True gender equality would mean accepting the fact that pregnancy and transition to motherhood are hard processes, which are worth taking the time.
And yes, yes. Now someone must be saying "what about the father?!"
My answer is that the father can never be a mother. Let's celebrate the motherhood for once.

Product tip of the day:
Our toddler, and I, adore the summer shoes by Cienta. Check them out at cienta.es or if you are Finnish, at minimono.fi.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti